Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What the heck is malolactic fermentation?

One of the wines in Scott's tasting this Saturday was the 2011 Annabella Chardonnay. 
A partial description of the wine reads as follows: 100% Barrel Aged in French Oak for 6 months, Partial Malolactic fermentation.
Then, one of our great customers sitting at the bar asks: "What's malolactic fermentation"?
Well, I sputtered, I believe it's when one type of acid is converted to another type to improve the quality of the wine.
I wasn't feeling very confident in this answer, so I rushed to my computer to be a little more sure.
And Wikipedia made me feel a little better (not much though) with my answer.
Here's what they have to say"

Malolactic fermentation (also known as malolactic conversion or MLF) is a process in winemaking in which tart-tasting malic acid, naturally present in grape must, is converted to softer-tasting lactic acid. Malolactic fermentation often occurs shortly after the end of the primary fermentation but can sometimes run concurrently with it. The process is standard for most red wine production and for some white grape varieties such as Chardonnay, where it can impart a "buttery" flavor from diacetyl, a by-product of the reaction.

Annabella is a great value priced Chardonnay which you can pick up at Balabans for $16.

Tom





No comments:

Post a Comment