Friday, August 23, 2013

Why Did Australian Wines Fall Out of Favor?

I have absolutely no idea.
I guess I could end the blog right here. It would be easy on me and I could start the weekend early.
But let me pontificate a bit:
About 6 or 7 years ago, Australian wines were all the rage. The critics loved them, it seemed like every new release of Shiraz or a Shiraz blend got 92-95 points and most of the wines were screaming values - often under $20 a bottle.
The wines were selling out in days.
People could not get enough of them.
There was rioting and fighting in the streets.
Well, maybe not that last part, but everything else is true.
And now. It's hard to give the wines away. Granted, the critic's ratings are not quite as high, but, ratings are lower across the board for all wines.
The same producers are out there making good juice: Mollydooker, Kilikanoon, Mitolo and many more.
I actually think the wines are better made now than before. They are not the big "fruit bombs" of the past, they're more balanced and generally lower in alcohol.
I really don't know why Aussie wines fell out of favor. Maybe they will make a comeback some day.
I hope so.

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment