Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wacky Wine Customers

A lovely couple had just finished lunch the other day, and as they were leaving, they hesitated and began lurking in the retail section of Balabans.
I was passed out at the bar at the time, but you know how you get this strange feeling sometimes that suddenly wakes you up and you don't know why that happens but you're happy when it does because something good usually happens?
Well that's exactly what happened to me!
I woke up, checked for drool and dashed over to them, smiling, asking:
Can I help you folks with some wine selections?
They: We would like a Pinot Grigio.
Me: I have several Pinot Grigios at all price levels. Do you have any favorites?
They: We like sweet Pinot Grigio.
Me: Really? I'm sorry, I only have crisp, dry Pinot Grigio from Italy or Pinot Gris from Oregon.
Me again: Have you ever had a sweet Pinot Grigio?
They: No, but we think it would be good.
Me: Uh Huh.
Me again: If you like sweeter wines I have some great Rieslings from Germany that you might like.

Time passes as they contemplate this life altering decision. I'm worried that I might fall back to sleep right in front of them.

Suddenly they ask:
Do you have any Missouri wines?
Me: Sorry, I don't.
They: No?? What kind of wines do you have?
Me: France, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Spain, California, Washington .............
They: I hear California is starting to make some good wine.
Me: Uh Huh.

Now I'm thinking: do I slit my wrists now and end this, or should I continue to try to sell them something.
I continue:
You know, I think you really might like this Riesling. If you don't, it's only costing you $13.
They: Ok. We'll try it.

I know I'm being silly here, but the above exchange is pretty much verbatim.

I hope they like the Riesling.

Tom








No comments:

Post a Comment