Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Wine, Beer and Halloween Candy


Trick or Teat!
You know, I never really liked Halloween all that much.
Even as a kid, my mom would force me to go trick or treating.
Oh, I liked the candy, Reese's peanut butter cups and Snickers being my favorites, but I just didn't enjoy dressing up like a clown or a monster and begging for it. My little sister brought in enough for both of us, she liked dressing up, and never had a clue that I was pilfering her candy. 
Perfect.
Anyway, we're stocked with candy at home now, and I do enjoy handing it out to the kids.
And ..... 
I hope their's a bunch left over, so I can eat it with some beer and wine.
Here are some interesting parings, some of which I created, and others that I've read about.
Snickers: beer: milk stout; wineBrachetto. There is a lot going on in a Snickers bar, with all those sweet and salty flavors attacking your palate. Brachetto is a sweet rose' sparkler from Italy. The sweet strawberry flavors will complement the milk chocolate, while the bubbles and slight acidity will do well with the salt.
Milky Way: beer: milk stout again or an English barleywine. Wine: Tawny Port - no doubt about it.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup: beer: sweet or imperial stout or a sweetened fruit lambic; wine: The Brachetto would work here too, but I think a Merlot would also be very interesting.
Sour Patch Kids: beer: Flemish red ale or American IPA; wine: tough one. When in doubt - Champagne!
Candy Corn: beer: English ESB or American or English IPA; wine: gotta be sweet. Icewine or Sauternes.
Dark Chocolate: beer: chocolate or coffee stout. wine: something big, like a  Syrah/Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon would both do nicely here.

Boo!

Tom





No comments:

Post a Comment