Friday, April 11, 2014

A Wine You Must Try Before You Die?

Fine wines, cult Cabernets, First Growth Bordeaux, Grand Cru Burgundies and Chablis, great Champagne and important wines from nearly every major wine producing country.
That's what you would expect to see in Neil Beckett's excellent book 1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die.
So, it's Thursday night, I'm reading the book, and what do I see?
Page 89 - Mateus Rose'??
What?
I do a quick sanity check: It's not too late and I'm definitely awake. I'm not Drunk.
But there it is, right in front of my face - Mateus Rose'.
I haven't thought about that wine in a long long time.
Actually though, Mateus has some sentimental significance in my life.
This was the first wine I ever drank, and I thought it was pretty good. My friends and I would pour the wine into flasks and sneak it into late night movies when we had nothing better to do. Of course we were all over 21, and the movies were of the highest repute at the time.
Mateus Rose'. A wine to taste before you die.
Available at most drug stores, grocery stores and gas stations for around $4 a bottle.

Have a great weekend!

Tom


Mateus Rose. Label from mid 1970's



No comments:

Post a Comment