Friday, June 6, 2014

How is Wine "Complex"?

"A whole made up of complicated or interrelated parts". That's how Webster defines "complex".
I've used "complex" to describe many wines in these blogs.
And the major critics absolutely love it when a wine shows complexity in its character.
But, what do I really mean when I use the word complex in relation to wine?
Layers.  When I say a wine is complex, I'm referring to the layers of expression on both the nose and the palate. The various layers of scent and taste evolve as the wine sits in the glass and breathes,  revealing new and ever-changing sensations over whatever amount of time you are tasting the wine.
I think that's pretty cool.
It's also what makes good quality, "complex" wine really special.
Here's a great example of an excellent "complex" wine that I've enjoyed recently:
2011 Loring Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir, 91 Points Wine Spectator - $37 at Balaban's
The pure ripe plum and black cherry fruit joins spice and wilted rose notes for a complex, delicate mix of flavors, gaining on the finish. (Wine Spectator Description)

Have a great weekend!

Tom




No comments:

Post a Comment