Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bubbles

Those of you who have been reading my blogs over the years know how much I absolutely love Champagne and sparkling wines. There is a difference, but that's a topic for another blog.
This week I had the joy of drinking two of my all time favorite sparkling Brut Rose's.
Here they are:
NV Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut Rose', Calistoga CA - $23
This blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir was opened on Tuesday to celebrate my daughter in law, Dani's birthday. My son, Michael and Dani love bubbles almost as much as I do, and, I suspect drink a little more than their fair share. But, so what. It was Dani's birthday - not mine.
2009 Argyle Brut Rose', Dundee Hills OR - $41
48% Pinot Noir, 42% Pinot Meunier and 10% Chardonnay.
This wine was served at Balabans on Wednesday evening for our chocolate and wine tasting event. Frankly, I didn't think a dry rose' would pair well with sweet, raspberry white chocolate. But this seemed to work, and everyone commented on how much they enjoyed this particular pairing.
Moment of truth - which rose' was better?
This is such a tough call.
All things being equal, I'm going to give the nod to Mirabelle for the better price.
BTW, Schramsberg has one of the best winery tours in all of California. Beware though - it's by appointment only.

Tom

  vs  



No comments:

Post a Comment