Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Is more expensive wine always better? Nope.

In KC this weekend to celebrate granddaughter Grace's 4th birthday.
As usual, I bring a bunch of wine to consume over our 2 night visit.
Here are the 4 wines I bought at Balabans:
2012 Castel de Maures Rose - $12  (Excellent)
2011 Irony Chardonnay - $13 (Very good and a terrific value)
2011 Foxglove Chardonnay - $15  (Excellent - also today's newsletter wine)
2009 Haraszthy Zinfandel - $16 (Perfect with our pizza and another excellent value)

Here is the wine I brought from my cellar:
2004 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - about $50 upon release - 94 points from Wine Spectator (not so good)

Dang! This was the last of 4 bottles I purchased a few years ago, and you can imagine my excitement as I opened the bottle.
It
just
did
nothing for me.
It wasn't corked. It wasn't oxidized. It wasn't too old. It certainly wasn't too young.
It was just "off".
Why? I don't know. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by this but me. But then, I'm weird.
This is just another one of those wine mysteries. You can have 10 bottles of the same wine in a row, and they all taste the same, and then, you have one that's "off".
I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
The rest of the weekend was fantastic!

Tom

Happy Birthday, Grace
How I feel about my Brunello



No comments:

Post a Comment