Friday, November 1, 2013

Wine and Sushi

We had our sushi fix last night.
It was almost two weeks since our last sushi meal and I was starting to get a little cranky.
I'm better now, though.
Sushi and sashimi offer a broad spectrum of interesting wine paring possibilities.
There's tons of information on line for paring wine and sushi, and there are really no hard and fast rules.
So these are just my opinions.
If I'm just having the raw fish, or sashimi, I like to stick with something subtle and simple.
The flavors of the fish are so delicate and elegant, the wines should have similar flavor profiles.
Champagne, Pinot Noir and premium sakes do the trick for me.
If you're going the sake route, make sure it's a high quality "cold" sake.
Never hot. Never!
Once you begin to add soy sauce, wasabi, spicy mayo and a host of other flavors to your nigiri (sliced raw fish on molded rice), or maki (sushi rolled in rice and cut into pieces), you have a whole new ball game.
Speaking of ball game, the Cards had another great season, winning the National League pennant only to lose to the Boston Red Sox in the World Series. There's lots of great baseball in store for St. Louis in the future, though.
Congratulations St. Louis Cardinals!
But I digress.
Once you add all these intense flavors to sushi, it's time to notch up the intensity of the wine.
Alsace offers some great options with Pinot Gris, Riesling and Gewurztraminer. I also like French or domestic Viognier. These white wines provide ample fruit and some spice of their own to compliment those intense flavors in the sushi.
I also like Rose' and Pinot Noir here.
There is a growing contingent of sushi/wine lovers that say the best way to go is red Bordeaux or California Cabernet Sauvignon.
I don't know about that one, but, I'm not opposed to giving it a try.
Anyway, as you can see, there are loads of options to try.
If you're experimenting, bring a couple of different wines in case one of them doesn't work for you.

Have a great weekend!

Tom





No comments:

Post a Comment