Wednesday, November 27, 2013

America's First Great Wine

My wife, Judy constantly sends me articles to use for these blogs.
I rarely use them, but she keeps sending them.
She's a good woman.
But an article she sent on "Amerca's first great wine" really intrigued me.
Of course, Thanksgiving is tomorrow. And since this is truly an American holiday, I always have some domestic wine to serve with our meal.
Can you guess what wine I'm NOT going to pour on Thursday?
How about Catawba?
Anybody out there having Catawba with their turkey?
Probably not.
Well, America's first great wine was made from the Catawba grape.
The style of the wine was a sparkling rose' and it was made by Nicholas Longworth in the Ohio River Valley in 1842.
Up until this wine was made, all American made wine was, well, let's just say, really, really bad. Like the article said, "the wines produced had "foxy" and musky aromas. They were terrible wines that nobody wanted to drink".
One last piece of trivia: The Catawba wine was so well received, that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow celebrated it in his poem "Ode to Catawba Wine".
I thought that was interesting.
I'm still sticking with Chardonnay, Riesling and Pinot Noir though.
My thanks to all who read these blogs.
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Tom






No comments:

Post a Comment