Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cinco de Mayo - and Wine?

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo. We didn't go out, but we love Mexican food, so Judy threw together some great chicken fajitas.
We usually will have a margarita, or, I will have a beer with Mexican cuisine, but I didn't have the ingredients for the margarita, and I wasn't in the mood for beer.
Let's see what's open in the fridge.
Chappelet Chardonnay - beautiful wine, but I don't think that will go.
Paul Vattan Sancerre (an excellent Sauvignon Blanc from Loire, France) - I'm skeptical about this, but pour a couple of glasses anyway.
It worked!
But why?
So, you're probably thinking "who cares why". It works. Drink it. Don't worry about it.
But I'm going to do some Googling on this one.
So here's the rule according to Sommelier Christopher Janz from Red O, a famous Mexican restaurant in Southern California: heat (as in spicy) needs to be paired with good acidity and low alcohol. High alcohol wines will intensify the heat in the food, and sweet wines will be overwhelmed by the spice.
That's why the Sancerre worked so well. It has great acidity which makes it a perfect food wine, and the alcohol is a very modest 12.5%.
This doesn't mean I'm giving up on beer and margaritas with Mexican food, but now, I will definitely include wine in the mix.
2011 Paul Vattan Sancerre: At Balaban's for $23 or, in our new Sauvignon Blanc wine flight.

Tom                  



1 comment:

  1. Very helpful information as my husband nor I are big Margarita or beer people. We'll be ready the next time we eat Mexican at home.

    ReplyDelete