Friday, January 31, 2014

2014 Super Bowl Wines

Typically, Super Bowl is a day and evening of eating junk foods and drinking beer - which is very appropriate for junk food.
No offense to beer. I love beer. In fact, I'm having one right now as I compose this blog.
But this is about Super Bowl "Wines", because my wife sent me an article about Super Bowl wines, and I told her I would do a blog about the article.
If you're a man who is married and writes blogs, and you were in my shoes, you'd do the same thing..
I'll copy the link to the article below if you want to read the whole thing.
I'm just going to go over the foods with the suggested wine pairings and let you know my thoughts on them.

  1. Wings - They recommend: fruity off-dry white blends. My comment: I don't know what that is. It could really be almost anything. I'm going with Zinfandel, Grenache or sparkling, which, in fairness, they also recommend.
  2. Hearty Chili - They recommend Monastrel. Well, good luck trying to find Monastrell. This is usually a blending grape, but if you look hard enough you can find Monastrel wine. Once again, I'm going with fruit to compliment the spice - Grenache, Syrah or Zin should do just fine here again.
  3. Vegetarian Chili. Come on! Who does vegetarian chili? You're going to have to read the article to find out about this one.
  4. Pizza. Now you're talking. They recommend Barbera or Chianti Classico, and, I agree.
  5. Nachos: They recommend Sauvignon Blanc or sparkling. The nachos they show in the pic are made with what appears to be chicken, so, the Sauvignon Blanc might work. Not so sure if they're beef nachos. As far as sparkling goes - of course!
  6. Guacamole: They recommend New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. This one really stumped me. The only drinks I've ever had with guacamole have been beer and Margaritas. I wouldn't be afraid to try the Sauvignon Blanc, though.
There's a few more, but you get the idea. You may not even eat any of these dishes on Super Bowl Sunday, in which case, you've already stopped reading.
For me Super Bowl is about about snacking and drinking whatever you want with good friends and watching the best commercials of the year.
If we're lucky, there's also a good football game being played.
Here's the link to the full article:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/best-wine-for-wings-pizza-guacamole-super-bowl-snacks.html?ref=pop_drinks#.Uuayw_3gTRU.email
Have a great weekend!

Tom



No comments:

Post a Comment