Thursday, January 16, 2014

An Understandable Mistake.

I do many different things at Balaban's.
That's what makes my job so much fun.
I buy wine, sell wine, write the newsletter and this blog. And I help customers who come into the shop looking for great wine.
I also try to help out during lunch.
I greet and seat people when the server is busy, and make coffee and …. well, that's about it.
Yesterday, we had a pretty busy lunch. We also had a table of 10. This really puts the pressure on the server and the kitchen.
Anyway, I usually stand at the end of the bar during lunch so I can see everything that's going on, along with seeing any new arrivals.
One of the men from the party of 10 comes up to the bar and asks:
"You work here"?
Me: Yes sir. How can I help?
He: Can you get me a screwdriver?
Me: Of course. I'll be right back.
So, I go into the storeroom where we keep our tools, thinking that I never asked him if he wants a phillips or flathead. I figure the flathead would be more likely.
So I triumphantly return with the screwdriver, one of the best we have, put it in front of him, and say "there you go"!
Well I gotta tell ya, he looks at me like I have a banana growing out of my nose or something.
But our server, Shannon, comes over to stop the staring contest to take him to the table to take his lunch order.
As they're walking away, I think I overhear him saying "I just want to get a drink".
A little time passes and I start to think: Hmmmm. He's in a restaurant. I'm behind the bar. He asks for a screwdriver. And then it hits me.
MAYBE HE MEANS THE DRINK!
Of course - that's it! He wants a vodka and orange juice.
You'd probably think I'm feeling pretty dumb and embarrassed about this.
Nahhhh. I'm fine with it.
I just wonder if he got the screwdriver he wanted.

Tom

The Tool




The Drink



No comments:

Post a Comment