Tuesday, January 14, 2014

An Amazing Wine Experience

So, I'm sitting at home this Saturday with two filets on the grill, looking forward to morphing into a vegetable, and my phone rings and it's Steve, one of the owners at Balaban's.
My first thought is: "no way I'm answering this, it can only be trouble".
But I answer anyway, and the exchange goes something like this:
Steve: You gotta come over here, I brought in an amazing Burgundy from my cellar.
Me: Well Steve, I normally would drop everything I'm doing and rush in, but, I have a couple of steaks on the grill that might not survive if I leave them for a couple of hours.
Steve: Oh. Okay. I get it. No problem. IT'S A 1959 BURGUNDY!
Me: What??
Steve: Yeah. It's incredible.
Me: How's the color?
Steve: Perfect.
Me: Any oxidation?
Steve: None.
Me: 1959? Are you messing with me?
Steve: Not at all.
Me: Well, I guess I'm going to miss out on this one. Just for fun though, would you mind saving me a little? Pump out the air, and put it in the cooler, and I'll try it on Monday.
Steve: okey dokey.
So it's Monday, and I kind of forget about the wine, but, Steve didn't. He calls about 9:30.
Steve: Did you find the wine?
Me: Uhhhh.
Steve: Look in the back of the cooler.
Me: Oh yeah, I see it.
Steve: Better let it warm up before you try it.
Me: uh huh.
Lunch time.
I realize the Burgundy is probably the ideal temperature now.
I pour some into a glass and taste …..
#%#&ing UNBELIEVABLE!!
The wine did not fall apart at all.
Keep in mind, this is a 55 year old Pinot Noir that has been opened since Saturday night, and today is Monday.
Wine. In one sense, it's really just grape juice.
Yet, it can sometimes be really magical.

Tom










No comments:

Post a Comment